Thursday, April 21, 2011

Exams/Pruebas/Quizzes

So as it is getting about that time for Finals back home I am just a little bit jealous! Just that they are almost done with school and summer is about to begin! I am not jealous for the amount of exams that my friends are having to take because here I am kind of lucky...barely any quizzes! I have only had 3 quizzes in total, but all were not the same as homes.

For my Culture class, obviously we learn about the culture of Easter Island and the people of Chile, but we also played a game similar to cats cradle. For our first quiz we had to choreograph a dance and incorporate our memorized songs and the game with the string. It was quite refreshing for a change in the style of our exams and I actually like it. We had to perform in front of the other half of our class, but we were all having a good time doing it that no one was embarrassed, but rather smiling the whole time. My next quiz in this class was like normal, paper quiz about the lecture material and the same for the quiz in my current event class. So it is not all that different here, but I like it when the teacher switches up the norm and brings in varied styles of assessments.

It is nice here. I am getting along with the people in my courses and I like all my classes, for the most part...literature not my fav. We have had a get together with the classmates a few times and it is good to get to know them as well. I plan on going to a futbol game here pretty soon. I have never actually experienced a soccer game before, one at DWU but no other, and I am excited. Futbol/Soccer is a major competitive sport in South America and about every country for that matter.

The major team in Santiago is the Colo-Colo team and I have heard that that team matched with the U of Chile is a pretty exciting game to watch. With all the fights and the crowd very aggressive it is a great atmosphere. Also thought I have heard to watch out cause there are those fans who absolutely do not like the other team so fan wear ahh is a sign of who is for what team, so I guess I will have to try to find something neutral. Some students from my current events class are talking about going and I will fore sure join them. I need to see what all this hype is about and hey if I like it I can spend my saturdays and sundays at the field!!

So as the semester is winding down back home, summer classes are about to start. I will be taking two courses online for the summer season. These two courses will help me finish a history minor without having to worry about fitting it into my full schedule when I return for the fall semester. One is through Black Hills State and the other through South Dakota State. The first class will begin in about 2 weeks and will be completed before I leave Santiago, so that is pretty good and the other will start at the end of May and go until August. Although that is pretty long I am going to work extra hard on these courses. I feel as though with having classes only about 1 full day a week, others only 1 a day, I have been slacking in my work ethic. I am used to having a full schedule and pushing myself, but here I have a lot of extra time so I have been taking advantage of it and not really completing what I have to do. So these extra courses will fill my free time and get me back in the swing of school.

I have about 10 weeks left here in Santiago. I cannot believe that the time has flown by so quickly and that by the end of this I will have completed so much. I went running this morning, after being sick for about 5-6 days and not running for a few days before that, and it was exhilirating. I went in the morning when there was not a lot of people, it was cool outside and it was pretty much me and Santiago. I am able to clear my head and just focus on myself when I go run. Later today I am going to go get a pedi and get pack for my Easter trip. I am going to Mendoza Argentina for la semana santa and will be back on monday. I hope that it is fun for all that are going.

Lastly I heard that my bf pitched a shutout last night and I couldn't be more proud of him. He pushes through obstacles and brought his team out of a long losing streak. He is pretty amazing and just wanted to give him props for that accomplishment. It is a little sad not seeing games live, but I try to stay updated through the internet and will be able to watch him play ball this summer when I get home. Go DWU!!

So with this until I get back from Mendoza...Happy Easter...good luck with egg hunts and be safe on this historical weekend. Ciao from Chile!!

No comments:

Post a Comment