Friday, May 13, 2011

Ooops...My bad

Oops is all I can say. With trying to stay busy, the website not working, and forgetting its been a while since my last post. It is almost the middle of May...what is that!! Wow time does fly when you are having fun...or when you want it to stop. I am actually not sure that a lot has gone on in the last two weeks besides normal school stuff. I did end up going to a festival that I mentioned in my last post and it was quite fun.

May day here was full of festivals of religion or the national dance. As I was at the fruit market that day I actually ran into the parade of the Cuasimodo festival in Santiago. This was the religious festival of the weekend. Also later that day I travelled on the metro tren to San Bernardo. At the San Bernardo plaza, community known for folklore, there was a large festival going on. There was no way that I could have gotten lost on the way from the metro tren to the plaza, but of course I made sure to ask someone to be certain, and the lady chatted with me to the plaza and was so sweet. There were probably thousands of people there and they were all participating, had participated, watching or getting ready to jump in. This was the festival of the Cueca Mil. Starting at midday on Saturday and continuing on Sunday until the goal was reached of 1000 Cuecas danced.

This dance is the national Chilean dance therefore pretty much everyone in Chile knows how to dance it. No I did not participate in the dance, because I do not know how to do it, but for my Culture class we had to interview people and investigate certain festivals and this is the one that I chose to do. I took many pictures, videos of people dancing. Now these people did not just dance in one area...too many people for that...but rather people danced anywhere and everywhere they could. The people that I actually interviewed began dancing right next to an ambulance...no pun...and did it because they love this dance. I learned a lot from the people I interviewed...and even received a little souvenior that I will have forever reminding me of this time.

Since this event nothing too amazing has happened...well i guess I did just buy myself a ticket for something that is going to be amazing...SKYDIVING. I am going next saturday at about 1:00 here (noon at home). I am super excited b/c it didn't work out in Argentina and I got it for a good price here!! So I have to go buy a ticket to take a bus there and then off I go!! I am super pumped and I am sure it is going to be a good time. Also this sunday I decided to have a good portion of my friends over to have breakfast for dinner. It is funny for those people who have never done that and think it is a strange idea. :) 20 people with french toast...eggs...and bacon..yummy and to have it followed with a movie.

I turned in my paper today about the Cueca mil....we are now playing instruments in class and it is fun to play trumpet again. I was supposed to have a debate two weeks ago...then this week and now I have to wait until next week. I just started one online class that I will be taking throughout the rest of my stay here in Chile. It is just the amount of time that I have left here so should go fast when I have something to do. I am starting my second online class at the end of this month.

So other than that...not much here..homework...trying to keep a schedule of running regularily...skipped this week...getting ready to feed 20 people and take my online classes. I have 7 weeks lefts and they are going fast. I would like to go visit a few places yet that I have not fully seen and to revist some of the other ones. But with that I am going to head and talk soon...hopefully it won't be so much time in between.

Ciau!!

No comments:

Post a Comment