Sunday, January 30, 2011

How this is possible for me and Counting down

  I cannot believe that in just a few days I will be embarking on a journey that seemed so far away 4 months ago. I am about to travel to Santiago Chile for a semester abroad. This trip has been on my mind for as long as I can remember. I knew that while applying to colleges there was a need for a studying abroad program. I plan on graduating May 2012, and becoming a Spanish teacher. The process of organizing a semester abroad was time consuming, but in the end was so worth it.
           I came from a rural town in northern Minnesota and from a single-parent household. I thought that these characteristics would put a restriction on my desire to travel abroad, but I was wrong. The cost of travelling seems quite overwhelming, but there are people out there willing to help for a good cause. By being from a low-income household and single parent family I thought that I would not have the funds to study, so I began my search for help. With the help of my study abroad advisor the Gilman Scholarship was an option.
           In order to be eligible for this scholarship one needs to receive the Pell grant. This is the most important criterion for this scholarship. By receiving this particular grant, I was able to continue with the application. I needed to type an essay that stated why this opportunity was important to me and then propose a follow-up project that would be completed while abroad or upon return. The second week of December I received notice that I was awarded $4,000 to help fund my study abroad to Santiago Chile. I am not sure that I would have received this scholarship without the help of friends and family, who proofread my documents and pushed me to hope for the best. This scholarship will help me to reach my potential, become accustomed to a different culture and to improve my Spanish speaking skills.
           As I said I am about to travel to Chile and am excited for what they have in store for me. I know that this experience will be filled with language immersion, travelling and cultural experiences. Although I am only human and am also nervous for this trip, but as so many people have told me and assured me this trip will be a tremendous opportunity. I want to encourage those who may be interested to study abroad and to help them reach their potential. This is only an introduction to my trip and I look forward to sharing my experiences with those who are interested.

Bon Voyage

No comments:

Post a Comment