Saturday, February 26, 2011

Penguins in the Sun?

Well I have been slacking a little bit on this but the last week I actually did something everyday, so therefore was busy. ;) We finished our spanish course one week ago on Friday and we had a nice little going away fiesta, with cocktails and hours derves....not juice and make your own sandwiches. But it was fun to have accomplished something already, having been in Chile for one month already and feeling pretty accustomed to. So when I moved into my new apartment it was not too hard to say goodbye to my family, because they live about 25 minutes away and I know my way back home.

At the end of last week I completed the course, went to Cerro San Cristobal with one of my friends, went to Bravissimo...amazing ice cream, moved into my place, went shopping, and somewhere in the mix we had a Sex and the City movie night and catching up on some good old Biggest Loser. Other than that...I have had a seminar for the new extranjeros, exchange students, at our University. We spent time going through presentations, the advice on what to do and not to do in Santiago, along with getting to know a few new people, outside our intensive spanish course group. I have meet two girls from Mexico and they are very sweet, Ana and Beatriz.

This past friday, yesterday, my friend Colleen and I came to La Serena where we will spend the next 5 days. We arrived this morning at about 6:50, waited for our hostal to open, had a breakfast, put luggage away because rooms weren't done, so we decided to walk around to kill time. As we started walking towards the center we decided to head down to the beach, 20-25 minute walk from our hostal. As we retraced our steps we found ourselves in the mix of about grand total of 8 stray dogs. After hearing the stories of our classmates and their bad run in with dogs and that these dogs were kind of sketchy, it creeped me out. I mean I freaking love dogs...miss my Dozey...but these ones I was soooo not fond of. Well they followed us for so long...almost got rid of them twice...but still had a few dogs now and then. After we finally escaped them and went to the grocery store we returned to our hostal to eat some sannies and rest before heading back to the beach.

The beach was gorgeous. It was nice and warm there and hopefully got a tan. Met some new flatmates in our hostal, who are travelling/working around the world. It has been a relaxing day and tomorrow we are going to head out and sight see/ few things to buy and get our excursions ready for this week. I believe that we are going to Isla Damas---AKA---PENGUINOS...on monday or so, and then going to tour the Elqui Valley, where the famous Pisco is brewed.

Other than these few excursions we are just relaxing before we go back to Santiago and begin our semester here. We have meetings with our tutors, who I will be corresponding with via email, about our classes and just getting ready to start a school year here in Santiago. I will hopefully try to write tomorrow about daily activities...suggestion was what happens when I go to a store? Do I speak Spanish? That and some more.

Until later...and sometime spent at the beach
Ciao de Chile

No comments:

Post a Comment