Sunday, February 27, 2011

What? Can you repeat that please.

So as you who is reading this knows...I am here in Chile for a semester abroad. While here I am studying Spanish and getting to know the Chilean culture while I am at it. But getting to know all the different modismos from Chile I am having a fun time ordering things and asking questions in stores.

I am pretty sure that there is not more than one day gap when I don't get asked where I am from. It is definitely a let down when I feel as though I am not able to communicate and I have already been here for a sufficient amount of time. The fact that I do speak quite a lot of English is what is getting me. It is so comfortable that it is hard to throw away. Also when alone with friends it is more easy to do it also. But these are the things that get to me quite often. I am here to learn Spanish and all I speak is English. So when I get the chance to walk around alone or with a few people and have to talk to spanish speakers I like it. It gives me the opportunity to practice.

Like when we go to the grocery store, the cashier asks if you have like a card....to put like points on (how much you spend)...and we say no...then when you don't know where something is you need to ask people and they don't speak English. So it is an experience. Cuanto vale...cuanto cuesta...donde esta...those are the key phrases that are used. But yes when I go into a store my idea is to speak spanish...and when they speak English it is kind of a let down saying...oh well this is easier so I should do it. As for getting asked where I am from that happens everytime I get starbucks, buy a book, go to the tourist office and much other stuff.

But the fact that I am slowly getting used to the questions is ok and by the time I am done this will all be worth it. Coming to a different country has its purpose, mine is to study the language. Also when we are girls walking in towns that are in different countries then our home ones...English is a sign to those that live there that we are foreigners...and that kind of scares me. I don't want to stick out more than I do without doing anything...so it must be changed. We will see.

Ciao from La Serena Chile
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment